07/11/2012

Burgh Island – Dark and Stormy But Well Worth a Visit

I am currently being hypnotised by the sounds emitting from my computer. You see I have purchased the new Burgh Island E.P. from Ben Howard. The only word I can use to describe the way I feel at this present moment, listening to 'Esmerelda' is mesmerised. I am absolutely mesmerised by it all.


"Esmerelda" is an incredible introduction to Ben Howard's new direction. It has this frantic, chaotic style that completely deviates from the original Ben Howard. The instruments used at the start remind me of wind chimes, but the calm, serene tone transforms into this dark and distressed emotion that has not yet come across from his music. Esmerelda is deep; it conveys this story of a love trying to help him, however an air of guilt is prevalent so things end between them. "She fell beneath the wheels to help me up..." "Now I'm going places on my own...". The song is relatable to so many, and the darkness of it is an appreciated twist to his material.

The next song on the EP, "Oats In The Water", has been around for a while. If I am correct, I remember hearing it just after Christmas on Zane Lowe's BBCR1 Show, live in session. I remember he was talking about an experience of visiting a third world type place and being mortified by some of the things he didn't mean to see. Could this be the key to unlocking Ben's deeper emotion? Who knows. But you can tell from "Oats In The Water" that travelling around has inspired him artistically, and pushed him to take more risks with his music. This is showcased by the unexpected guitar solo that completely takes you away into the music. I remember listening to this song, sitting at my kitchen table and just being so lost in the bluesy howling of the solo. Completely shocked by the new style that he'd introduced to his listeners, I was left wanting more. So I was only too happy to hear that the songs on this EP followed suit.

"To Be Alone", the third track on the EP is probably the most atmospheric of them all. It starts with this soft, ghoulish, stormy echo that sounds like something from a horror film... and I love it. It is SO different from anything previously on the EP, or anything from his album. The song drifts in and out of this dream-like haze, which I think perhaps describes his state of isolation when writing and recording on Burgh Island and on his travels – amplified by the theme of loneliness. This "real-or-fake" dichotomy rubs off on to the listener, who is completely swept away from reality and into the song. 


When listening to the first exclusive radio play of "Burgh Island" on Maryanne Hobbs' Music:Response show on XFM on the 30th of October, my friend Tom quite rightly exclaimed "It sounds like Ben Howard... But it doesn't sound like Ben Howard?!" And he is right. It's a big contradiction, however the song showcases the Ben that we know and love; his gentle, raspy vocals softly whisper in your ear; the slow pace and atmospheric nature of the song – much like that of Black Flies from his Every Kingdom album – leaving you awestruck for at least five minutes after the song had finished. 

However there is something different about Ben in his new song. Firstly, the use of electric guitar as opposed to acoustic shows the verge of a new direction taking shape in his material. Then there is change in tempo as the female vocalist, Monica Heldal, introduces herself on to the track which acts as a light pulling you from the darkness of the song. Both elements make an incredible difference to Ben's style. We all knew that he was capable of capturing emotion from his first album, but with a bit of experimentation he's tapped into this deeper level that none of us were expecting from him. 

Burgh Island, a song about love and inspired by a small island off the coast of Devon is mentally picturesque, in  a way that you can just envision this, dark, stormy little ramshackle of a place that emits beauty from simplicity. Much like the love that Ben is demonstrating through the song. Although love can be described as quite a complex emotion, it really is as simple as a man, a guitar and words from the heart. "And if I was ever to leave, I'd say before I go: that you're the best woman I've ever known." 

This little number is a great pick-me-up after the previous three songs on the EP. Over just four songs, you are taken on this emotional tour of Burgh Island where Ben Howard takes you through his personal journey of heartbreak, loneliness and regaining love. 

I think it's brilliant. I think by experimenting with his style, he has completely skirted around any doubts of becoming a "One Trick Pony". You cannot deny that Ben Howard has an incredible talent and passion for writing and performing, and this is evermore appreciated by the listeners. This EP has geared my up for his show in Brixton on the 28th of November and I can't bloody wait.

Burgh Island EP - Ben Howard, available now from iTunes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment