31/12/2018

2018 - BEST BITS

Strap yourselves in lads, this is a long read.


Hello. It's me. I've been wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet?

Sorry I'm talking guff, I'm a prosecco down and it's New Year's Eve. I think I'm actually high from a month-long Celebrations bender. My blood has turned to treacle. Happy holidays.


So I'm feeling quite reflective, as one would on New Year's Eve. Believe it or not, 2018 has been ABSOLUTELY BANGIN.

Yep, you heard! I had a really, really good year. I didn't plan on it or anything, it sort of just happened. I find it hard to talk about the good things because I don't want to come across as a humble-bragging weirdo but do you know what, positivity and good things are so few and far between at the moment - why not embrace them?

So this year in March, Ben and I celebrated four whole years of being bf and gf. F O U R. And it feels like a lifetime but not in a bad way! We went to Hawksmoor in Borough Market to celebrate, which was completely amazing but is absolutely hilarious because now I'm a vegetarian. I look forward to stealing his puddings for many more years to come.

April, we celebrated our Birthdays with brunches, crazy golf, homemade cake and a trip to Dublin with Kat and Jack. Dublin was cute, the people were so friendly and we had the best night at The George down in Temple Bar, dancing the night away to Britney. We went to the Guinness factory and I had my first pint of the dark stuff AND I LIKED IT.

Then in June, I dyed my hair blonde. It's so silly that this is a (whole head of) highlight, but it was so much fun! It was a happy accident, I went in asking for an ombré/balayage situation but came out with something completely different. The hairdresser was mortified that she'd not stuck to the brief, but we were all pleased with how it turned out.

In July, Ben and I went on the most beautiful holiday to Menorca. It's marketed as the quiet, sleepy island in the Balearics but we were busy the whole time. Busy sleeping on a beach, or eating amazing food. Busy drinking locally produced wine or hiking around coastal paths. Busy staring at and dipping into the cobalt blue sea. We were busy eating traditional Menorcan pastries and wandering around old Spanish cities and towns. We were our kind of busy and we loved every second of it.

In August, my sister and I went to see Romeo + Juliet (the one with Leo) in a big field in West London for the Secret Cinema event. It rained from the moment we stepped through the gates, to the moment we got off the DLR at Lewisham coming home. I fell over into someone's front garden on my way home. But still, this night and the build up to it was an absolute pure joy for me! I LOVED getting dressed up and pre-drinking gin with my sister. I loved pretending to be a Montague gang leader in Verona Beach. I loved getting choked up at the end and pretending that my tears were just good ole' British rain, and having the soundtrack play on a loop in my head for weeks.

September, my main gal Louise urged me to get an ECG - I need to go for some more tests following my results and it was/is a bit scary (but fine). It's on the list because am very grateful to have friends who support me like she does. I am also very pleased with how I did something I've been putting off for YEARS and I'm taking control of it. It was also her birthday in September, and I outdid myself by baking some seriously outrageous cupcakes.

October was huge. We moved out of our teeny tiny studio flat that sat atop the screeching tracks of Lewisham station to a wonderfully roomy Victorian first floor conversion in Walthamstow. I loved Lewisham and I still love South London, but moving to E17 has been one of the best and most sensible choices we've made.

In October, I watched my lovely friend Laura marry the love of her life, her first wife, Jen. It was THE most special day, and the classiest wedding I've ever been to. It was an absolute privilege to be there. One of my oldest and loveliest friends, Alix, had a beautiful baby boy called Archie. I'm completely in awe of her and of him. I can't believe he's here - he's perfect!

My bestie, Liv, came back from her travels in New Zealand after five months of going out there and doing her thing. I'm immensely proud of her for putting herself out of her comfort zone, but lawd did I miss her! She did bring me back Tim Tams though so I do (sort of) forgive her for leaving.

And at the very end of October, Ben and I expanded our little family, by welcoming the smallest, cutest little ball of fluff into our lives. Since Pearl has been with us, my life has completely changed. I'm a ball of nerves because she's so smol. But she's hilarious, she's ridiculous and she's so silly. She's a madam, a very serious hunter and I love her to bits.

November was basically a comedown from October and the calm before Christmas. We spent our days settling in with Pearly girl, getting to know our new digs and revving ourselves up for December

December, I went full Christmas. We hosted the day with my mum and stepdad, sister and her boyfriend, nan and of course, the cat, as guests. It was lovely, and we all enjoyed ourselves. Ben and I nailed the feast - my word.

And here we are, New Year's Eve. I'm wondering what 2019 will bring! I'm planning on bringing my health and fitness back into the fore and I'm excited about it. I want to get back into my swimming and looking after myself. But apart from that, I have no real plans on changing who I am. I'm constantly working myself out, and so I shall just be focussing on the bits that I like about me and making them shine.

So Happy New Year to you all. May your 2019 be happy and healthy.






No comments:

Post a Comment