27/06/2013

Curling Hair For Divs

So I met up with my wonderful friend Liv the other day and I loved the beachy waves she'd managed to create using a curling tong. She assured me that her hair looked crap however, and wanted to know exactly how to use curling tongs, wands or straighteners to achieve a classic curled look. She suggested that I write a blog post about it, so here it is Liv: 'Curling Hair For Divs' (actual quote).

There are possibly three main ways to create a curl – each require practice and the development of 'the knack,' however once you get the hang of the twists you're well on the way to a voluminous, glamorous look.

A different tool creates a different look: curls made with the wand tend to be more spiralled; the curling tong more ringletty and the straightener more relaxed and wavy. I'm going to show you how to get the hang of all three.

Before curling, I have spritzed my hair with Schwarzkopf got2b Guardian Angel Heat Protection spray! Make sure you use a heat protector before blow-drying, straightening and curling your hair, otherwise you'll be left with a dry, damaged mess. Not the one.




THE WAND
The wand is the easiest way to create a curl. It's quick, simple and possibly the most dangerous! Careful not to burn yourself with the wand... easier said than done! I prefer to use the wand out of all three methods because I am lazy. Here's what I mean:




1) Select a section of hair you wish to curl (not toooo thick, otherwise it won't work out the way you want it to haha) and start at the top of your head. Wrap hair around the wand from the base of the wand, down to the tip and hold.





2) Hold it there for around 5 to 10 seconds, depending on the thickness of the section. If it's thicker, hold for longer :) 








3) You may need to curl the end section again, so take the middle part of your curl, and wrap the rest from the middle to bottom length of hair around the base to the tip of the wand.






ET VOILA YOU HAVE A CURL! 







THE STRAIGHTENER
The straightener is possibly the most tricky of the three methods! It takes a little longer than the wand, but less time than the tong and nearly all of us have straighteners, so it's worth trying to give it a go! The Straightener can create the most versatile of looks, from beach waves to ringlets, it all depends on the amount of hair in the section. The smaller the amount, the curlier it will be!


1)  Clamp the section of hair from the top.




2) Twist the straightener round away from your face so the end of he section is close to your head.



3) Twist the straightener round again so the strand is away from your face.





4) Gently slide the straighteners down the rest of the section of hair, and gently turn the straighteners in the same direction as before. 




5) Turn the straighteners out once more as you reach the bottom of the strand to ensure maximum curliness!





YOU HAVE NOW CREATED A CASUAL CURL!



THE TONG T'TONG TONG TONG

The more classic of methods, the tong is the sort of thing you find in your nana's hairbox, but it creates a wonderfully classic curl. Ringlets in all their glamorous glory, they create curls perfect for a classy event... and it is SO EASY once you get the hang of it!



1) Unlike before, you are working from the bottom to the top. clamp the end of the section in the clamp of the tong.




2) Roll upwards to the top of the head. I almost always curl up and away from the face, not towards. So roll up and not behind (does that make sense? It's an easy concept I just can't put it into words, what is WRONG with me today?!) Hold it there for about 10 seconds (15 max).


3) Roll the tong back down and unclamp the strand, and there you have it, a CLASSIC CURL!






You can use hairspray to keep your curls in place, however there are other alternatives! Here I finished my hair with the wand, added some Toni & Guy Casual Sculpting Powder to my roots to add some lift, and then the Toni & Guy Sea Salt Texturising Spray to add a more messy, textured look.

I really hope this has helped anyone who finds curling hair a mission! I'm not sure how well I've explained it, but I thought I'd give it a shot!

Happy Curling x

No comments:

Post a Comment