18/01/2015

NEW FRINGE!


Well hello there!

So I have so many posts that I want to write! It's all a bit hectic at the moment but January is nearly over (thank the lord) and I will be able to write about the things that I'm loving at the moment. I say this, I have so much work on the go, and so little motivation to do it. I get distracted by the tiniest of things (I'm not really meant to be here!) and end up doing something crazy because I'm so bored of the monotony of life when I have a heavy work schedule on.
I know that sounds really naughty, but I like to change things up. You have to keep things fresh and new and find a little bit of time just for you even when you have deadlines and pressures. Seriously, if I hadn't had a day away from the keyboard yesterday I might just be sitting in a corner in tears today. It's all about balance.

Yesterday I did something a bit crazy. It was probably the biggest YOLO moment of my entire life. Like I actually couldn't believe myself. So I cut in my own full fringe. In the UK it's a fringe, but widely known as bangs. Now I know it doesn't sound like a MASSIVE deal but to me it was. I've NEVER cut my own hair before, let alone cut in a whole bloody fringe. I've dyed my hair before, I'm no stranger to hydrogen peroxide, but cutting my own hair was a whole different ball game.

Sectioned Triangle
I've wanted a fringe for a little while, and I've seen so many good ones that it all just hit me yesterday that I NEEDED one - and I had loads of work to do but you know, fringe comes first? No? I spent the morning looking up how to do it yourself. I know there are so many people who do it themselves so I thought it can't be TOO hard?! And if I'm honest it wasn't really! YouTube tutorials make it look so easy! So I popped down to Superdrug and got the hairdressing scissors for £4.50. This is important because they are designed to cut your hair and are less likely to damage your hair and cause split ends.

So when selecting the hair to cut, I sectioned a triangle from a point in my middle parting to two points at the front of my head, in line with the outer corners of my eyes. The further back the point is on your head, the thicker the fringe will be. Sounds complicated but it looked like this.

Twistin 'ell. 
And then I grabbed my hair horizontally between my fingers with my right hand (the hand I cut with - if you are left handed do this with your left hand) and twisted my hair in front of my face and with my left hand I collected it horizontally between my fingers and pulled it round straight. So now my hair is twisted in front of my face in between the fingers of my left hand. This all sounds a bit waffley so I really do recommend you watch the twist cut method on YouTube. Anyway this is the point I got to. The photo is a bit blurry but I was running on adrenaline haha so I  am sorry about that!

So then I ensured that I cut my hair where my fingers reached the tip of my nose. The initial cut was the scariest moment of my life. And there was so much hair and it was all on the floor and I could swear it took me at least half an hour in the twist position until I had the actual courage to make the chop. But once you do it, just commit. It's ONLY hair and it does grow back!

I'd cut the fringe so that it was too long. I recommend doing this because you can always take more off but you can't add. In an upwards snipping motion I evened out the fringe, got it to the length that I wanted and graduated the sides a little bit. The twist cut method allows for longer sides so that the fringe is shortest between the brows and frames the face around the sides.

I am really quite pleased with how it's turned out! I have had worse fringes going to the salon and having it done. I like that it's a little bit rough and choppy! And I saved so much money doing it myself. What's £4.50 compared to the £20 I was going to pay in a salon around here? If you do the same, just be brave; have sharp scissors; cut it dry; use a fine tooth comb and et voila.

When I style it, I blow dry it down where my cowslick is (my hair naturally pops up in one bit) and then I dry it in a circular motion with a comb or a roll brush. This volumises it a bit, giving it a bit of bounce. I finish with a flexible hold hairspray, so that it can still have a bit of movement but doesn't fly about and get annoying. So yeah I'm not very modest in saying this but I really am pleased with how it has turned out! It was a bit risky, and touch and go at one point! But we got there and I don't know, it feels good doing something new with your hair. Especially when suffering with the January blues.

If you decide to cut in your own fringe or have any tips, comment below! I 'd love to know what you guys do with your style.

Anyway, really must be getting on with some work...

Much Love!

Ashley x

No comments:

Post a Comment