16/02/2015

SKINCARE & BOOTS BOTANICS


Hello again! You may have read my last post about the dangers of microbeads in cosmetic products, and this has inspired me to talk more about skincare essentials and what you might want to know.

As a student, I understand that there is a struggle to find good quality skincare ranges at affordable prices. I also understand that it can be bloody hard to remember what you should be looking out for when it comes to skincare. It has always been my aim to make sure that whatever I put on my face contains no SERIOUSLY nasty chemicals that could cause an abundance of issues to my wellbeing.

Now, I'm no scientist but I know that there are a couple of controversial ingredients that are still being used in a number of skincare ranges. Although a lot of testing may not be conclusive, I wouldn't really want to take a risk if there's an option not to. I'm not trying to sound sensationalist here, but if I've heard bad things about something to do with my every day routine, I don't tend to think "Oh what the hell" and still go with it. Now I'm not perfect, and I'm still trying to figure what's good and what's bad for my skin, but this is what I've found out so far.


One ingredient to be aware of is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS to you and I). It's an inexpensive ingredient used in lots of skincare, haircare and cleaning products. Its main advantage is that it causes the product to lather up better, making it a more effective cleaner. The problem is though, that SLS can cause skin irritation, and even skin corrosion (ew – not ideal for a skincare product). SLS is deemed relatively safe by EU regulations, but it's not for everyone. There have also been debates surrounding SLS and Cancer, however there is NO substantial proof that the two are linked. You can read more about SLS here. It has been used in hair and skin products for decades but has now been recognised for its irritant nature. LUSH's website have said this: "We have recently begun to replace sodium lauryl sulfate with a milder surfactant, sodium coco-sulfate. This new material is kinder to the scalp, but still cleans the hair effectively." I personally cannot use shampoos with SLS in them, because of the impact they have on my scalp. It gets seriously dry and horrifically irritated, so I try to steer clear. 

Another ingredient, or compound, is the paraben. Parabens are just nasty. They are used to kill bacteria in water-based solutions, however when absorbed into the body via skincare, soaps and other household products, the paraben compounds can do some damage. Parabens have been known to disrupt hormone function, which is linked to an increased risk of breast cancer and other problems. You can read a more in-depth report about parabens here. To check to see whether there are parabens in your skincare products, search the ingredients list for ANY compound that has -paraben in it. Ethylparaben, butylparaben, methylparaben and propylparaben are all examples. 

And as we all now know, check your product for microbeads. Download the 'Beat the Microbead' app, or check the ingredients for Polyethylene, Polypropelene, Terephthalate, Polymethylmethacrylaat (say that fast three times) and Nylon to ensure it doesn't contain any plastic.  

So, about a month ago I purchased a number of items from the Boots Botanics range. It has been on  offer for ages and it's still going on, so now is the perfect time to give it a go and see if you like it. The reason why I thought to try this range was basically because it was very reasonably priced. When I looked even further into the products and their ingredients, I was rather impressed! Loitering in the electric glow of shop lighting, I stood for half an hour to make sure what I chose was to my personal standard. That sounds really snobby, but it really isn't. When looking into a new skincare range I want to make sure that it ticks all the boxes and this just takes a fair bit of time.

Of all of the products I bought from the Botanics range, none of them contained any SLS, parabens or  microplastics! So that's gotta be a start! The formulas have been developed by boots and plant science experts from Kew Gardens. Now I am zero fuss when it comes to a skincare routine. For me, it's a little dash of cleanser to remove my makeup followed by a face wash and some moisturiser twice a day. I use a face scrub twice a week to get rid of any dry skin (3 times in winter!). I make sure I don't scrub too often though, otherwise it overstimulates oil production, causing an oily T-zone and spots. Nightmare.

I picked up the All Bright Micellar 3 in 1 Cleansing Solution. This is pretty good at taking off my makeup. Face makeup is gone in one swoop, but as to be expected, eye makeup can be pretty hard to budge. It's no bother though – once you hold the cotton pad over your eye for around 30 seconds it dissolves quite effectively and you can sweep it all away. The product boasts to "Dissolve makeup, unclog pores and remove impurities." I'm not sure really if it does all of those things to a miraculous standard but it is rather good and my skin feels very clean after using it.

I follow this with the All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash. I really enjoy using this product. It doesn't contain any exfoliant, so it is really gentle on the skin. It gets rid of all of the muck still on my face and when my skin is dry it feels quite tight and clean. That sounds a bit weird, but I kind of enjoy it. It feels toned and refreshed without using harsh toners. It does leave my skin feeling like it needs a drink afterwards though.

If it is time to scrub, I will use the All Bright Purifying Face Scrub. This is really good! It has crushed walnut shell to get rid of flaky skin and crushed apricot seeds to sweep away impurities and dirt. My skin feels extremely soft after using this product. It really gives a good scrub without feeling too harsh or abrasive. The All Bright range works well together, it all contains hibiscus which apparently has skin brightening properties and it smells clean and fresh and not too perfumed or chemically.

Now don't laugh, but the final product in my haul is a "Radiant Youth" cream. I KNOW I am only 20. I understand it sounds a bit bat-shit that I am starting to use cream with the word 'Youth' in it. The thing is, I am a stress-head. Stress can cause premature ageing (so I believe) and I just don't want that. I'm already going grey, so enough is enough. I'm putting my foot down with a firm hand. The Radiant Youth Protecting Day Cream, is probably my favourite product. The cream has a beautiful, light texture; is absorbed quickly by the skin and smells nice and fresh. I know the trick to staying young is drinking lots of water and wearing an SPF and I'm doing just that. This cream has an SPF 15 and a 5 star UVA rating. Worried about age or not, it really pays to keep your skin protected from the sun. The product contains Gingko, which works to protect your skin from any nasties that can degrade your skin's collagen and elastin. I have used it for about a month now and I can honestly say that I don't really have any fine lines (not that I really had many to start), and my skin just feels lovely.



The Botanics range is HUGE. There are so many different products to try, with different ranges such as brightening, anti-ageing, shine reducing and 100% organic. It is currently on offer so it is ridiculously cheap right now, and even when it goes back to full price it doesn't break the bank. The products are a good size and have lasted me a fair while, with still lots more left for me to use. I do recommend you try the range and if there are any products that you find really work for you from Botanics, please let me know! I'm really interested. It's just funny, I know it has been around for ages but never realised how good it is until now.

Anyway, I hope this helps! I know finding the right skincare regime can seem quite daunting but it is all worth it in the end!

Ashley x

No comments:

Post a Comment