29/07/2015

AND HERE WE ARE...



Well hellooooooo there!

Long time no speak! It's been a long while since I've been here, tapping away in this little white box and there is so much I need to tell you all. 


Last hour at the beeb in the props
department...
So where do I begin? I think I'll start with Easter time. I turned 21 back in April and I suppose that was the turning point into what can only be described as the most hectic few months of my life. I'd just finished work experience at The Staff Canteen (a website for chefs) and then started a work experience placement at BBC Watchdog for three weeks and absolutely LOVED IT. I was a runner, where I'd trundle around London finding props for production, join the film crew in interviews around the country and overall just love my life. The people were amazing, working in London was amazing (although I could have done without the two hour commute there and back) and it's been so weird watching the show and seeing all the things I'd bought and the people I'd met. 

Dissertation hand-in. Sully couldn't
believe it either!
I returned back to Bournemouth with two weeks to write and finish my dissertation. After a number of all-nighters, tears and tantrums we got there and I handed it in the same time as my good pals Louise and Katie a few days before the deadline (celebratory waffles, ice cream and booze were definitely in order!). It was such a relief, but also the most nerve-wracking thing because I was so uncertain about whether I'd done it right. I didn't find the "help" from my tutor helpful at all if I'm honest, so it got to the point where I was just winging it and hoping for the best. 

So, the day I handed in the dissertation, Ben came to stay and a few weeks later we moved back to Essex together. By the time I'd moved back I was absolutely shattered. I'd saved up some pennies and knew it was going to go on a holiday. Ben needed a break too, so he didn't need much convincing. We booked our holiday to Halkidiki in Greece and less than a week later we were on the plane!

Pella Beach
We both had such a lovely time. I sit here and I daydream about the beautiful blue-green sea, mountains – blazing hot sunshine and sunsets to die for. We stayed at a hotel called Grecotel Pella Beach, and it was lush. The room was huge, the staff were so welcoming and lovely, and the pool/beach area was AMAZING. We had an amazing time spent mostly on a sunbed getting sun kissed (factor 50 100% of the way though), going for walks around the village we stayed in and testing out some of the local cuisine. The food was - well - often questionable, however we did have some really good meals too. Literally ate Tzatziki errr'day. The hotel food was always good but my fave meal was the dinner we had on the last night at a restaurant called Pallini. I had the Beef Stifado and I'm looking for a good recipe that can take me back there, so I will keep you updated if I find a good one.

Mt. Athos
We went on a few boat trips as well. The first was a trip to the only island surrounding the Halkidiki peninsula, Ammouliani. It was so pretty and the beach was amazing. Getting on to the beach was a bit scary though, because we had to get from the big boat on to a little boat in the middle of the ocean to take us directly there. I felt like I was walking the plank but I suppose that made it more fun?! We used this company, Athos Cruises, and they have like a luxury boat with a bar and lounge areas. They do the live Bouzouki music, where the barman/boat moorer man was also the band. It was very Greek! We used them again in our second week and took a trip to The Holy Mountain (Mount Athos), which was nice, but I travelled two hours on a coach and then two more by boat to get to a mountain that I wasn't allowed on because I'M A LADY. #religion. But a nice day, out on the sea, who can complain?

It was an amazing break and just what we needed. Being back home is tough though, I'm finding the whole uni/home-life adjustment thing really difficult, but with a few life hacks and a bit of mindfulness I'm sure we'll crack it.

So that's me up until this point. Slogging away at the job search and trying to start a new chapter. I'm finding new things to get excited about and keep me sane, so I fancy using this space to write about living well and keeping happy. Or keeping me happy and spreading the love!

So I am BACK. It's good to be here.

Much love,

Ashley x

No comments:

Post a Comment