06/09/2015

UPPING THE BROW GAME



I don't know if it's just me, but eyebrows are very close to my heart. I can't just see them as furry things that keep the sweat from your eyes (glamorous).



Eyebrows are so important, because not only can they shoot the most perfect expression when words fail you, they can give depth and definition to your look. And if you get them wrong your day is ruined – I know that's dramatic but I have had plenty of eyebrow mis-haps and felt wrong all day because of it. 

So you need a product that is EASY to use and can give you everything you want and need to up your game. Whether you rock the sharp and pointy, the Kim-K definition, the natural and wispy or the full and thick, you have to have a product that will hold your hand and guide you to the world of beautiful brows. 

First proper use of Eylure's Brow Ink
in Dark Brown
And only recently has this become so prevalent in my life, when I found a product that tripped me up and made me look horrific. I always advocate trying new things when it comes to make-up, and when I saw Eylure's Brow Ink eyebrow pen, I was intrigued. The product is double ended, with a fine nib one end for drawing and definition and a thicker one for filling in. I've seen people accomplish the most amazing look on Pinterest with one of these pens and thought that it would give me the key to perfect brows. So I used it first without any other make-up on and I have to say I was really impressed!

And then I used it with the rest of my make-up the next day and noticed that my make-up (like foundation and stuff) was getting on the pen nib and the product wasn't transferring as easily and as nicely as I'd liked. Still, I was happy with the result and enjoyed the defined arch and smooth, clean lines. The brows looked neat and tidy and just as I'd wanted them.

A few days later I noticed that the lid(s) kept coming off in my make-up bag. I'd make sure they had clicked in place and sometimes they'd stay put, but this concerned me. And the product wasn't transferring properly and the more I'd used it, the more difficult to use it became and I was getting frustrated.

And after about a week of using the product, it had almost dried out completely. I was dragging dry, awkward ink across my face in a bid to get my £9.95's worth, dabbing the end with my spit (gross) in order to loosen the product off of the pen but I felt my efforts were all in vain (well of course they were), when my sister mentioned at lunch that my eyebrows looked "different" and "perhaps a bit too dark", asking what I'd done differently. In her politest tone of voice, basically, asking me wtf was going on with my eyebrows and did we need to pop to Boots to find something else.

We popped to boots first thing.

As I frantically googled good, affordable products available in the confines of Boots, we stormed towards the glowing white haven and I was safe in the knowledge that my brow probs would soon be over.

I stumbled across a review for Sleek's Brow Kit. I have enjoyed how pigmented Sleek products can be, from their eyeshadows to blushers and lipsticks. I'd decided that the brow kit could be a good shout, and trundled towards the Sleek shelf. I'd decided that maybe the brow pen wasn't the method for me and headed to more familiar ground. I used to love Benefit's Brow-Zings but being a student and/or unemployed, I've not had the budget for it. I loved how the wax kept my brows in place and how the powder filled in the bald bits. Well, to my luck, the Sleek Brow Kit is a DUPE. It's pretty much the same bloody thing. You even get free tweezers, orangey/yellow angled brush and the rounded brush in a sleek, black compact with a mirror.

Sleek Brow Kit brows and sultry, deep
in thought pose. 
I didn't think it would be quite as good, because you expect when paying high-end prices for things you'd get the best quality, however I'd say this was pretty much just as good, and maybe even better because it was cheaper at £8.49. The wax has great pigmentation and staying power and the powder sets it all into place and helps keep the brows looking beaut all day. If the rest of my make-up has worn off throughout the day, the brows will still be going strong. The tweezers aren't fantastic, but do the trick. The palette comes in four different shades: Light, Dark, Black and Extra Dark, I use Dark.

I will continue to find more good brow products and give new things a try. Because if you don't try then you will never know. And I recommend other products, such as the HD Brows palette (which lasts forEVER), and Soap and Glory's Archery 2 in 1 pencil and brush, which is such a good product and is great for a subtle, natural "no-make up" look. But I fancied something with a bit more impact now that the Autumn is rolling in and I'm wearing a heavier coverage of make-up. 

So I'm finally happy with my every day brow products and safe in the knowledge that I don't leave the house every day looking like this... 
Photo by Canadian Film Centre
And if you are looking for a good pair of tweezers, the Vintage Cosmetic Company floral slanted tweezers are amazing. Just as a side-note.

So if you're aiming for well defined, tame and fierce brows on a budget, Sleek Brow Kit is the one for you. If you have any brow recommendations, get in touch and let me know!! 


Ashley x




No comments:

Post a Comment