15/08/2013

NICK MULVEY

So I'm completely in love with the work of Nick Mulvey. I've literally been listening to him EVERY DAY without fail. I can't even explain what it is that I love about his music. His song Fever to the Form is anthemic. It's harmonious, jam packed with texture and different dynamics that make the track more than your average acoustic tune. The intricate finger picking at the start is the perfect hook, it reminds me of the intro to Toothpaste Kisses by The Maccabees. But then there's this whole build up of vocals and instruments that are so impactive, they really pull you into the track. Before you know it you're lost in its emotion and momentum and you don't want it to end! I can say I downloaded Fever to the Form and have not looked back.

So then I downloaded the Fever to the Form EP and was gobsmacked by the musical journey I was taken on over four songs. Just four songs! But they are all so different! The song following from the title track, House of Saint Give Me is so intricate and delicate that the beauty of it oozes from every note. His vocals perfectly complement the soft tones of the song and it is an all over pleasant find! Juramidam is punchier and you can tell that the guy really knows his music. With African drum influences, the track holds this exciting depth and edge that punches it's way through the EP. And then there's the tiniest spark of an Oriental feel, mixed with traditional English folk in River Lea. I feel like I've been to the edges of the Earth and back, and I just can't wait to hear more from him.

You may have heard of Nick Mulvey before, as he was one of the founding members of the Portico Quartet where he played the Hang. It's like he knows no bounds when it comes to playing instruments! I'm just excited about his music, it reminds me of when I heard Ben Howard for the first time. Well anyway, this was just a quick one to tell you all to check out Nick Mulvey's stuff, because it is the sound of genuine, raw talent.

CLICK HERE FOR SOUNDCLOUD

Love it.

Ashley x

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome review of a real stand OUT track! Fever To The Form is such an expansive, multi-layered song and you found a way of articulating what that song makes ME feel, and you also made the connection to how you felt when listening to Ben Howard for the first time too and YES!...Me TOO!! Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your kind words! I'm really glad you can relate! He has such a range of talent, so excited by his stuff! X

      Delete