23/09/2013

GRILLED VEGETABLE & PESTO TART - LIGHTER OPTION.

Yesterday I made something marvellous. I can't stop thinking about it. It all started when I made Cornish pasties with my dad the other day and was using Just Roll Pastry. I have a love/hate relationship with pastry - I feel guilty about the calories but I do love a good shortcrust! So what are you to do when stuck in this guilt ridden dilemma?

I had no clue. But then I read the latest issue of WeightWatchers magazine (I am still doing WeightWatchers, but the focus has moved momentarily to starting the next year at Uni... will all be on track soon enough!) and in this magazine was a recipe for a healthier Shortcrust pastry. I had to give it a go! In the mag the pastry was used for a Salmon and broccoli tart, but living with Kat who is a veggie that hates broccoli I thought I'd compromise and make it up! And this is what we ended up with...



So for a first attempt I was rather impressed. The oven in my new house was the single most terrible invention in the world as the flame just goes out as and when it pleases, so the timing may be a little off.  I usually go by colour and texture anyway – sometimes you just know it's cooked. I think I could have left it in to go a little more golden on the top, but the oven was just getting on my nerves and I knew it was edible at this stage! We served the tart with a Nando's portion of Halloumi and a baby leaf spinach salad. Here is what you'll need and how it is done:

Utensils:
Pastry tin OR a "Sandwich" tin
Greaseproof Paper
Rolling Pin
Sieve
Ceramic Baking Beads
Big Bowl
Little Bowls (cardboard box)
Griddle Pan / Frying Pan / Wok

Ingredients (Serves 4):
For the Pastry:
150g Plain Flour (sieved)
75g Cold Light Spread (I used Flora Light)
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 - 2 tbsp COLD water
Pinch of Salt

For the Filling:
1 tbsp Green Pesto
1 Red Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Red Onion
1 Spring  Onion
100g Grated Mozzarella (If you can get the lighter stuff then kudos to you!)
2 tbsp Grated Grana Padano Cheese (or Parmesan)
1 Beaten  Egg
1 SPLOSH of Semi-Skimmed milk.

For the seasoning we used salt, pepper, Basil and Oregano, but really the world is your oyster.

RECIPE:
1) First, put the flour, Baking Powder and Salt in a big bowl. Cut the spread into chunks and add to the bowl. Rub the spread into the flour so that it resembles bread crumbs.

2) Next, add the water and mould into a dough. Be sure not to make the dough too wet! A nice firm ball of dough is what you want to end up with! Wrap in cling-film and leave to chill in the fridge for 20 mins.

3) Whilst the dough is chillin, slice the peppers, red onion and spring onion. The thickness is down to preference! If you want it chunky, have it chunky! There is no right or wrong here.

4) Then, in a bowl mix together your grated mozzarella and grana padano. In another little bowl (sorry for the washing up) beat together your egg and milk. Pour the egg mixture in with the cheese.

5) Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.

6) Next, remove your dough from the fridge. Sprinkle a little dusting of flour onto your work surface and rolling pin and roll it out to around a half cm thickness.

7) Place the dough in a slightly greased pastry or sandwich tin. Trim the excess from around the edges. Put in a sheet of greaseproof paper over the pastry and add your baking beads.

8) Put the pastry in the oven for ten minutes to "Blind Bake". This allows for the pastry to begin it's cooking process; stop the bottom from rising and prevent a soggy bottom later on. You do not want a soggy bottom – TRUST ME.

9) Whilst the pastry is blind baking, add a tiny splosh of oil to the griddle pan. Place on a medium heat and add the veg. Add your herbs to the veg and cook until soft and SLIGHTLY charred. Note I said charred and not cremated...

10) After ten minutes, remove the beads and greaseproof paper from the pastry and whack it in the oven for a further five minutes.

11) Next, take your pastry case and spread the pesto on the bottom. Add your grilled veg on top and then pour over the cheese and egg mixture. Put in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden  and the tart has set.

ET VOILA YOU HAVE MAD A GRILLED VEG AND PESTO TART! CONGRATS!

Serve up with some salad and you have the perfect dinner, and get this... It only comes in at 9 ProPoints. A CHEESY PASTRY TART THAT IS UNDER 10 PROPOINTS WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT IT.

It really was good and not a bad first attempt at making pastry either! I hope you enjoy this wonderful dish!

Ashley x

No comments:

Post a Comment